On popular demand from our students, we propose to publish a recipe a day. These are cooked and served to students during their study at Shrimath, by Smrithi, ably assisted by Shobha and Kamal.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Whole Green lentil ( Mung) – 1/2cup
2. Red onion – 2 medium sized
3. Tomatoes – 2 medium size
4. Cinnamon stick – ½ inch piece
5. Salt &Pepper – To taste
6. Bay leaf – 1 small size
7. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
8. Coriander finely chopped ( 2tbsp)
1. Wash the lentils and put them in a pressure cooker.
2. Roughly chop onion and tomatoes and put them along with the lentils.
3. Add rest of the ingredients to the pressure cooker add 2 cups of water and pressure cook them for 4-5 whistles.
4. Open the cooker when the pressure is out and let it cool to room temperature.
5. Discard the cinnamon and bay leaf before grinding.
6. Use a blender to make into a smooth flowing paste.
7. Strain the paste using a soup strainer. Add enough water as per the consistency required , bring them to a boil adjust the salt. Serve hot with coriander leaves.
Tip: It helps if the green lentils are soaked for at least 2 hours before. If its not soaked give extra 4 whistles in pressure cooker.